Stop Water Waste: Save Your Wallet and the World
A drip here, a drip there—before you know it, plenty of water and money have been wasted. As a homeowner, you save money and become more eco-friendly with easy water conservation methods that fit into your normal routine without impacting your comfort or lifestyle. Use the following tips to help!
- Only run full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher.
- Turn off the faucet when washing dishes by hand and brushing your teeth. Consider turning off the water in the shower when sudsing up your shampoo and soaps.
- Wash your family car at home using a bucket of soapy water and a sponge instead of a garden hose.
- Water your lawn, flowers, and garden in the evening so that the water can soak in overnight instead of evaporating in the heat of the daytime hours.
- Adjust sprinklers (if you have them) so that all the water is directed at the landscaping rather than on a sidewalk or driveway.
- Use a sprinkler timer to automatically shut off the water flow so that no water is wasted.
- Use mulch to help the soil around your retain moisture.
- Select drought-resistant plants that need less watering during hot, dry months.
- Install low-flow faucets and shower heads, which add air to your normal water flow so that the same level of pressure is achieved but less water is used.
- Install a dual flush toilet or retrofit an existing toilet with a dual flush insert.
- Pay attention to unusual spikes in your monthly water bill. An increase in water consumption without increasing your actual use could indicate a leak somewhere in the home.
- Have a licensed plumber repair any leaks immediately, before serious water damage occurs.
At Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Springfield, we offer leak detection services, pipe repair, and installation for water saving fixtures and devices. Our team of licensed plumbers is available 24/7 to repair broken pipes and perform other emergency services.
For more information on water conservation methods for your home or to schedule service, call our Springfield plumbers at 417-823-8400.