The Easiest Way to Avoid Plumbing Problems
It’s easy to take your plumbing for granted, since most of it takes place behind walls and beneath floors. But if you’ve ever had a plumbing emergency, you know how fast a problem can go from bad to worse.
Here are five plumbing maintenance tips from our experts at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Springfield to help you prevent the need for emergency plumbing repair and keep your pipes and fixtures in top working order.
- Have a few plumbing tools on hand. A pipe wrench will make it easy to take apart pipes and reach the trap, where many clogs occur. A 10- or 15-foot snake will enable you to clear most clogs without the help of a plumber.
- Fix leaks as soon as you notice them. A leaky faucet or toilet not only wastes water and money, but also serves as a warning that bigger problems may lie ahead.
- Prevent clogs in your bathroom sink and shower. You probably know that hair is a major culprit when it comes to clogs in the bathroom. Install drain covers on all of your open drains and remove hair from the inside drain each time you clean the bathroom. Serious clogs can be removed with a snake or, depending on the severity of the clog, a wet/dry vacuum.
- Prevent kitchen sink clogs. Cooking fat and oils build up inside your pipes and can cause blockage, resulting in a slow draining sink. To prevent these common clogs, pour several gallons of boiling water down your kitchen sink each month to break up and wash away fatty deposits.
- Know where your main water shutoff valve is located. Quick action during a plumbing emergency can save you thousands of dollars in water damage costs.
If potential plumbing problems weigh on your mind, consider membership in the Ben Franklin Society, a planned maintenance program offered through Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Springfield. The program includes an annual safety inspection, a water heater tune-up, and a leak check, as well as priority service and a 15% discount on repairs and replacements. This program can save you time and money and give you peace of mind, especially if you live in an older home with older pipes.
For more expert plumbing tips or advice, feel free to contact our plumbers in Springfield at 417-823-8400.